I caught up with a local Pakistani who was born and raised just miles from where Bhutto was assassinated...and a local doctor who has friends from Pakistan. They shared with me, how they heard the news and their fears the affects it will have on the religion they both practice.
"Early in the morning....my brother from New York called me and....he said, do you believe that this is happening in Pakistan."
Pakistani born...Qasim Shah has been living in Ocala with his wife for nearlyÂ 30 years..he couldn't believe what he was hearing.
I was shocked, I didn't believe it...i said my brother must be kidding me."
His initial thoughts were about his family members...Â some of whom still live in Pakistan and are involved with the military. His second thought was...who could commit such an act...and seeing as though pakistan is a Muslim country...would they use his religion as justification for the assassination.
"This is a diabolic act. A Muslim would not do it. We don't hurt you, even if you are non-Muslims, or a Jew or a Christian...even if we are in the battlefield."
Although he relies on his beliefs...and follows the Quran...he says politics really have no place in Islam.
"I never ever was a part of any political process."
He's also not willing to place blame.
"I cannot finger point...I cannot blame military...there are many factors that caused this."
Although Dr Zafer Sabawai and his wife are not from Pakistan...they have loved ones there...and are nervous about the effects this attack will have on the country as well as they're religion.
"Initially a sense of sadness...and there was a sense of fear that this country would plunge into more instability."
It's evident that Pakistanis and Muslims alike..whether you supported Bhutto or not are mourning. Both for the country and the people.
Shani Muhammad...WCJB TV 20 News.
- Pakistani Passenger Jet with 127 On Board Crashes
- Ocala’s 351st Military Police Company Deploy To Afghanistan
- Ocala City Manager Talks about Ocala's Future
- Ocala Utility Workers Turning on the Lights Up North
- One Case of Equine Herpes in Ocala Showgrounds
- Hundreds of Soldiers Training in Ocala
- New Antiques Attraction in Ocala
- Vice Presidential Hopeful, Paul Ryan Makes Victory Tour Stop in Ocala
- Ocala Possibly Becoming an Inland Port
- Tampa Yankees May Relocate to Ocala