Gainesville City Commissioners Set to Vote On Gender Identity Ordinance
A highly debated ordinance that was meant to give everyone in the community equal rights is now tearing it apart, and Gainesville City Commissioners are set to take their final vote on the issue Monday evening.
Commissioners will vote on a gender identity ordinance that includes a controversial provision that would allow transgendered people to use whichever restroom facilities they chose, as long as its not a locker room or shower facility where someone might be seen nude.
But some business owners, like Joe Cirulli from Gainesville Health and Fitness Center, are worried about the wording of the ordinance and what it could mean for their customers if it passes.
"I've been approached by many members and they're all saying does this mean a man who feels like a woman can come into our locker room? I said, I don't know exactly what it means," said Cirulli.
The city attorney who drafted the document explained if it passes, places like the gym will have to supply a unisex locker room if it's readily available. If not, they can tell a transgendered person they have to use the restroom of their biological sex.
But Cirulli says the ordinance is vague and doesn't tell who gets to determine if funds and space are readily available for the third locker room.
"Does this mean I have to go to the city and show them all my financials and they could determine how much money I should be able to afford to spend, and then at the same time, tell me physically how to remodel my facility to be able to do that," said Cirulli.
By David Hamilton/WCJB TV 20 News
- Citizens Hope to Challenge Gender Identity Ordinance
- Gender Identity Charter Amendment
- Gainesville City Commission Passes Annexation Ordinance
- Gainesville City Attorney Recommends Revising Ordinances to Reflect Fuel Adjustment Practices
- Gainesville City Commissioner Wants To See Changes In East Gainesville Redevelopment
- Early Voting For Gainesville City Commission
- Gainesville City Commissioners To Vote On Butler Plaza Annexation
- New Gainesville City Commissioners
- Gainesville City Commissioners Approve Location for Homeless Resource Center
- Gainesville City Commissioners' Reactions to New Police Chief