Tonight, a family is mourning the loss of a son, brother and uncle. Alachua County Jail officials say Shawn Carter was found at 12:34 pm on Friday after he had hung himself. He was later pronounced dead at Shands AGH.
Carter was being held for violating his probation on theft charges and was in a cell by himself because he had gotten into a fight with another inmate.
Jail officials said carter tied a bed sheet to one of the bars on his window... to asphyxiate himself. Alachua County Deputies say a sargeant went by his cell about an hour before and said he was just fine.
Family members told WCJB late Friday that Shawn Carter had been a schizophrenic since the age of 4. They add they do not know why he was not under 24 hour care.
"I want to find out the truth.' Sharon Wilson, Carter's sister said, 'I want to know what really happened."
She adds, he was all set to come home next month... so to them it didn't make sense that he would take his life.
"They knocked on my door and said mrs carter we have some bad news for you.. have a seat." Carter's mother said.
Because of Carter's condition, they sent him to live in an assisted living facility. At least one attorney agrees this would imply that carter needed special attention.
"It would seem to indicate that person needs daily assistance with their activities, so this is someone who would be a high risk prisoner going in." Attorney Robert Rush said.
But medical staff at the jail said he was not determined to be a suicide or medical risk.
The family said they plan to contact their lawyer tomorrow.
As for now.. they're grieving.
"He was a good kid." Sharon Wilson said, "He was just a kid. A good person."
Thallia Hayden, WCJB TV20 News
- Alachua County Jail Inmate Attempts Suicide
- Two Attempted Suicides in Two Weeks at the Alachua County Jail
- Bullied 12-year-old Girl Commits Suicide
- Warning Signs of Suicide Not Always Easy to See
- Murder Suicide For Ocala Couple
- Attempted Murder-Suicide in Live Oak
- Two Bodies Found Inside Apartment from Apparent Murder-Suicide
- Waldo Man Threatens to Commit Murder-Suicide
- Detectives Investigate Murder-Suicide
- Remembering Suicide Victims