Right now, some smaller cities with their own fire departments respond to fires in unincorporated parts of the county. The county, is supposed to reimburse them for the calls. But city leaders say that doesn't always happen and when it does, it's not enough money.
The cities are coming together in an unprecedented show of unity to present the county with a new plan.
"We can't continue to afford a fire department where more than half our calls are outside our district," said High Springs Mayor Larry Travis.
The cities formed a board called the Municipal Fire Authority. The board is meeting with county leaders Tuesday night in Micanopy at 7:30.
Anne Imanuel, WCJB TV20 News
- Fire Marshal Investigating Several Suspicious Fires in Marion County
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Responds to Two Fires at Same Location
- Fire Marshals Call for Changes in Fire Reporting System
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Investigating Second Recent Fire in Apartment
- Car Fire Leads to House Fire
- Four Dead Following House Fire, Fire Not The Cause of Deaths
- Former Fire Chief Under Fire
- Fire Rescue Budget Under Fire
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Educates Residents On Fire Assessment Fees
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Extinguish House Fire