They call the items turkeys. Parks, recycling and some health care funds have all been identified as budget turkeys.
TaxWatch President Dominic Calabro says given the tough budget year he expected to come home empty handed from his turkey hunting trip.
"Iâ€™m surprised. We were really hoping that when it was all said and done, they would just, slam it down," saud Calabro.
TaxWatch identified 133 birds totaling more than 110 million dollars.
Among the turkeys, two million dollars to finish a pharmacy school on FAMUâ€™s campus. Senator Al Lawson says the school needs the money for its accreditation.
"To put this on the turkey list is really incomprehensible because this is a great thing for the state of Florida that helps bring in Federal dollars from the National Science Foundation," said Lawson.
In addition, funding for Family CafÃ©, a nonprofit helping families with disabled children, is also on the turkey list. Eldalee Cookâ€™s son has cerebral palsy. Family CafÃ© helped her find help for her boy. Cook begs Governor Crist to give the Family CafÃ© turkey a pardon.
"Numbers on papers donâ€™t show you our pain and I pray that you look at our pain and see how weâ€™re going through this cause it hurts and cutting it back isnâ€™t helping anyone, finding a solution will,' said Cook.
In addition, The Community Medical Care Center- ER Diversion program in Lake and Sumter Counties and the Silver Springs Water Quality Improvement Plan in Marion County are also on the turkey watchdog list.
In the end it will be up the governor to decide which turkeys get the ax.
Last year Governor Charlie Crist vetoed about 70 percent of the budget turkeys TaxWatch Identified.
- Turkeys- Suggestions to be Removed From Budget
- Turkey Creek Residents Take Biomass Noise Concerns to Alachua City Commission
- Turkey Creek Residents Express Concern Over Biomass Noise
- Turkey Watch Tax List Released
- Local Project on Turkey List Fired Back
- Storm Hits Turkey Creek Forest
- Residents React to Turkey Creek Golf Course Closing
- Local church gives away hundreds of turkeys
- Mother's Day Turkey Shoot raises money for veterans
- Turkey Creek votes to buy golf course