Memorial For A Beloved Elementary School Teacher
When she passed away suddenly two weeks ago, her loss was immediately felt.
One by one in perfect form, fifth graders filed into their media center to formulate the ideal memorial for their favorite math teacher. They sat intently getting instructions on how the entire school will construct a giant quilt for a math teacher that was larger than life.
Known for her unique techniques of teaching math formulas to music, Gloria Merriex's sudden passing at the age of 58 left a void in her classroom that was once filled with music
But her students now carry on the songs she had set in their minds, and colleagues recognize the legacy she leaves after 30 years at Duval.
"She has transformed their attitudes toward learning, toward self-discipline, toward setting goals," said Angie Terrell, administrator of Duval Fine Arts Academy.
Sheldon Waldon, a fifth grade student and math team member, agrees.
"Before I got in her class I really didn't like math and now I really love it," said Sheldon.
But the one time, "Teacher of the Year" was more than a math teacher.
"She helped us with everything, more than math with our family relationships, everything," said Jasmine Webb, 5th grade student and math team member.
Her achievements live on in the accomplishments of her students. Many of those students will go off to college and follow in her footsteps and become educators and successes in their own right.
Parents and others who were touched by Merriex also hope to name a street after her.
- Alachua County teacher of the year finalists
- Legacy Elem. Will Reduce Overcrowding at Other Schools
- School Year Resumes With Changes For Starke Elementary School
- 'Dads Take Your Kids to School Day' is a huge success at a local school
- North Florida Regional Says Goodbye to Beloved CMO
- Starke Elementary School Relocated
- Deployed U.S. Air Force Staff Sergeant surprises family at school
- "Good Samaritan" food drive for Evergreen Elementary School families
- School Nurse Arrested For Stealing Prescription Drugs From Students
- East Marion Elementary School Undergoes Deep Cleaning After Infection Outbreak