Officials Look For Rapist
Fear has taken over in Haile Plantation, as residents worry if another attack will happen in the coming days.
Detectives and deputies have been out all day at the scene of yesterday's sexual assault to see if anyone might have information that could lead to an arrest. All authorities know at this point is that the victim, a 36-year-old resident of Haile Plantation was jogging when a clean-cut Black male with short cropped hair jumped out and hit her in the face with a handgun. Once she was down, detectives say the suspect sexually assaulted her in broad daylight, and then drove away in a car that was parked nearby.
Many women in the community are frightened. Self defense experts say there are some precautions joggers can take if they do decide to head out for a run.
"The very first and foremeost thing you should do when you're grabbed from behind is lower your stance. Get low, get wide. You can do hammer fists to the groin area. You can head butt his nose."
In the meantime, investigators continue to look for clues and hope that blood samples collected from the scene will lead them to the attacker.
Authorities say the suspect's vehicle is described as a dark-colored four door sedan. Anyone who may have seen the culprit or his vehicle yesterday morning is asked to call Detective Heather Phillips at (352) 367-4185.
- Rape Victim Says Rapists Should Not Have Custody Rights
- Accused Rapist Arrested in Lake City
- Wife of Alleged Serial Rapist Files for Divorce
- Convicted Rapist Michael Frye Faces Second Trial
- Marion County Convicted Rapist Michael Frye Sentenced to Life in Prison
- Attempted Rapist Still on the Loose
- Residents Relieved After Suspected Rapist Arrested
- Serial Rapist, Killer David Alan Gore Executed
- Suspected Rapist Arrested in Ocala
- Victim Speaks Out in Hopes of Finding Rapist