City Manager Candidates Take Tour Of The City
One by one, the six candidates for city manager piled into a bus to begin the tour of what they hope will be their new home.
It's a growing city, and it's got a whole lot of potential," said Thomas Hoover, Royal Oaks Michigan City Manager.
Candidates got to see some of that potential firsthand, and try to convince city staff to give them the green light.
"My background is in infrastructure also neighborhood developer," said Hoover. "I'm a good communicator. I've always believed in talking to the neighborhood leaders."
And as former Assistant City Manager of Ocala, Charlie Lynn remembers these roads as well as other important local issues.
"Well Ocala's always looked at economic diversification," said Lynn. "That's an issue looking at their business model, and the types of ways they want to deliver services."
Current Assistant City Manager, Bill Looney, already knows what he would do if he got the job.
"I think I would broaden the communications with council," said Looney. "I think we need to focus on the three things I think are most important to the city: drinking water, energy, energy supplies. I believe nuclear power is going to have to be looked at. I think desalinisation as far as water goes."
Some candidates, like Alfred Minner, city manager for Sebastian, FL, say they look forward to the challenging parts of the job.
"There are issues with redevelopment, and those types of things is what interested me in this position," said Minner.
On Friday night, the candidates will meet with City Council over dinner.
- Gainesville City Manager Looking for Candidates to Fill Police Chief Position
- Williston Picks Final City Manager Candidate
- Commissioners in High Springs Interview Candidates for City Manager
- Alachua County Commissioners Reach Out to Third Manager Candidate
- County Commission Picks In House Candidate for County Manager Job
- Lake City Police Chief and City Manager Aren't Going Anywhere
- NAACP Calls for the Resignation of Lake City Police Chief and City Manager
- City Commission Candidate Forum
- City Election Candidate Qualifying Week
- Tour Gives Students Glimpse Of City Government