Employees Charged With Abusing The Mentally Disabled
In the back of Latter Rain Ministries is an adult day training facility meant to help the mentally disabled learn independent living skills. But one former employee of the facility, who has asked to be unnamed, says that's not what clients received.
"I've seen clients thrown into walls. I've seen clients slammed on the floor."
The facility is owned by the self-proclaimed Prophetess and Pastor of Latter Rain Ministries Janice Phillips.
Phillips who is no stranger to run-ins with the law also ran the group homes that housed the disabled clients.
The day after two of her employees are charged with criminal abuse of the mentally disabled. The Potentials group home closed their door to TV20 inquiries about the condition of clients inside.
Dave Donaldson moved furniture from the Potentials home where his disabled daughter once lived, but he doesn't believe there has been abuse there.
But affidavits from State Attorney General Bill McCollum's office says otherwise.
Martin and Bell are each charged with criminal abuse of the disabled, which is a third degree felony punishable by five years in prison.
But Phillips has not been charged yet though she was arrested for resisting officers and obstructing justice, which are in violation of her probation for prior charges of aggravated assault.
The former employee says the abuse went undetected because days before inspection, efforts were made to clean up the deplorable conditions. These efforts included changing training and medical documentation.
The State Attorney General's Office says it is still an ongoing criminal investigation.
If you or a loved one has personal experience with Elevations or Potential group homes, please contact Stacey Samuel at SSamuel@wcjb.com.
- Man Arrested For Sexual Battery of a Mentally Disabled Teen
- Juvenile Correctional Facility Employee Accused of Child Abuse
- Latest Developments In The Abuse Allegations Against Employees At Two Group Homes
- Mentally Disabled Man Sentenced After Shooting, Killing Father
- Alachua Police Employee Arrested on Sex Charges
- Woman Charged With Child Abuse, After Suffocating 2-Month-Old Baby
- Two Men Charged with Abusing, Neglecting Their Mother
- Adult Care Center Owner In Williston Charged With Abuse & Exploitation
- Two Men Charged with Abusing Elderly Mother
- UPD Officer Charged With Child Abuse