City Officials And UF Team Up To Crack Down On Front Lawn Parking
City officials are hoping to cash in on it, and they say they want to minimize potential parking problems.
Amanda Jones says she's blessed with a huge front yard. It's a serious money maker come game days and other special events on campus. That's why she's renewed her lease year after year while she studies at UF.
"We have a lot of room in front of our house," said Jones. "And we usually sell it definitely on game days, and then we have the regulars who pay at the beginning of the season and get to park here every game."
Jones says she and her roommates bank about $700 a game, and that's not including recent offers from students who want to park there regularly for class.
Still in the three years Jones has lived in this house, she's never heard of any rules against what she's done.
"I don't think I've ever heard of it," said Jones.
And thanks to other residents, students like Jones will have to start checking a calendar before bringing in the bucks during special events. That's because city officials have gotten so many complaints about that kind of activity that they're going to start cracking down on it.
The first step coordinate with the University and create a calendar of days that would be exempt from such rules. Then, get the word out that not only do these parking spot sellers have to check the calendar, but they also need to pay fees to operate as a "business."
"We hope this is effective by the beginning of this football season," said Gainesville Code Enforcement Spokesman Jim Garrett.
It's an effort that university officials say they're on-board with.
"We're sensitive to those people as well," said UF Spokesperson Steve Orlando. "So, we're trying to reach some kind of solution that you know everybody can be happy with."
A solution Jones says sounds fair, so long as the city lets her and her neighbors know before hitting them with fines.
- School Officials Cracking Down On Fights
- Central Florida Electric officials crack down on late payments
- State Officials Crack Down On Harassing Bill Collectors
- Gainesville City Officials Trying To Ease Parking Congestion
- Panama City cracks down alcohol sales to minors
- Archer Man Shot Woman After She Kicked Down His Front Door
- Baby Born On Front Steps Of Lawtey City Hall
- President Obama Forms Task Force to Crack Down on College Sex Assaults
- Boater Safety Being Cracked Down On
- Cracking Down On Underage Drinking