Plans For A Search And Rescue Facility
Project planners went directly to the public to tell them the benefits.
Now if the county gives it their seal of approval on July 15th, 2500 acres of land currently zoned for agriculture will be turned into a search and rescue facility
Henry Moxon, property owner, says he's reached out to law enforcement, but nothing is set in stone.
"There's all kind of wild ideas there talking about jet airplanes, and stuff like that were not looking to do any of that," said Moxon.
Many neighbors are afraid of another training center like Blackwater in in North Carolina, which trains private security units. but, the owners say they are looking to build a facility that will have a dirt runway, a rifle range, an explosives room, classrooms and dorms.
"And I just thought it would be a great idea for Mr. Moxon to make some revenue for his property at the same time provide a place for law enforcement and hopefully military assets can use," said Chad Ditty, project manager.
Shawn McAdams who lives down the road from Moxon's land says the facility would be devastating for his family.
"I've lived on the same property my whole life," said McAdams. "Hopefully, I'm going to take this property over so I can have my daughter and grow up with her in the same kind of environment."
"With the amount of territory we've got, we feel like that won't impair the rural atmosphere," said Ditty.
Moxon says he expects the facility to bring around 50 jobs to the area.
- Gainesville firefighters will have more access to live training with new facility
- Development Plan approved for Assisted Living Facility
- Search for Johnny Radabaugh Will Continue Saturday
- When does the Coast Guard call off a search effort?
- Horses Taken from Rescue Farm
- Inside of Ocala's Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting Training
- USPS to Announce Closure of Mail Processing Facilities
- Three Marion County Facilities Linked to Meningitis Outbreak
- Update: County knew about fire station closure ahead of time
- Mercy For Mercy, Abused Dog Gets Adopted