At least 1 case of Enterovirus confirmed in Alachua County. Other possible cases being tested.
Stealing From The State
Last Thursday, agents say Hammoud was minutes away from boarding an overseas flight in Miami with millions of stolen dollars sitting in a Beirut bank account.
Hammoud is accused of taking 5.8 million dollars of state money that was to be paid to Anderson Columbia, a road construction company. The money was supposed to be transferred into the construction company's account at Wachovia bank, but ended up in a Regions Bank account opened by Hammoud. The state wired four huge deposits into the account.
The suspect reportedly forged state documents using a name he pulled off the construction company's website. The state was tipped off to the switch when an accountant called about the missing pay checks.
A spokeswoman for Florida's Chief Financial Officer says they'll look at their policies after the FBI finishes its investigation.
"That is something that will come after the department is done working with federal authorities," said CFO Spokeswoman Tara Klimek. "Right now our focus is on making sure we can unwind all those transactions."
Federal agents are also looking at whether or not any state employees helped Hammoud steal the money.
The state is still working to recover all of the missing money. Hammoud is being held in a jail in South Florida.
- Thieves Steal Money, Luggage from Calif. Tourists
- Workers Caught Stealing Copper Wire from FBI Construction Site
- Robber Steals Cash from a "Check 'N Go" Store
- School Nurse Arrested For Stealing Prescription Drugs From Students
- Man Steals iPhone, Demands Ransom from Owner
- Bank Teller Accused of Helping Steal Money From Bank Customer
- Stealing from the Rich
- MAN STEALS FROM HOSPICE
- Alachua Teen Steals from his Sick Grandmother
- Employee Steals Over $1,000 from Local Business