Update On The Haile Rape Investigation
On May 21st, a 36-year-old Alachua County woman was violently attacked and raped while jogging outside her Haile Plantation neighborhood.
The Alachua County Sheriff's Office has followed up on close to 500 leads, which citizens have provided in the wake of the attack. New leads are still coming in.
According to the Alachua County Sheriff's Office, more than 40,000 flyers depicting the forensic sketch of the suspect have been handed out. The citizen reward fund is now just shy of $23,000.
Deputies have also ruled out all of the nearly 400 sex offenders who reside in Alachua County.
In addition, the Alachua County Sheriff's Office wants residents to register their cell phone numbers into the alerts notification system. The service allows the user to receive important crime related messages, significant weather alerts, public safety announcements and emergency updates. To register your phone, please go to the links section of our website.
The Alachua County Sheriff's Office wants to remind residents to always be aware of their surroundings and to stay vigilant while exercising. Some basic crime prevention tips include:
-Avoid jogging after dark
-Jog in pairs when possible
-Always let someone know what route you will be taking and an estimated time of return
-Carry a cell phone with you
-If you utilize a MP3 player or similar device leave one of the earpieces out of your ear so that you can safely hear your surroundings while still enjoying your music
-Try to exercise in populated areas
-If you see suspicious activity, don't hesitate to call law enforcement.
Anyone with any information about this crime can call Detective Heather Phillips at (352) 367-4185.
- Haile Jogger Attacked, Raped
- Suspect Arrested in Haile Plantation Rape Case
- DNA Evidence Leads to Arrest of Suspect in Haile Rape Case
- One Year After Haile Plantation Jogger Rape
- Jail Rape Investigation Holdup
- ASO Investigating Alleged Rape at Jail
- UPDATE: Haven Acres Cat Sanctuary Investigation
- Historic Haile Homestead
- County Commission Reverses Original Decision, Approves Archer Braid Trail Through Haile Plantation
- Alachua County Commission Votes to Keep Archer Braid Trail Out of Haile Plantation