Flight Cancellations at Gainesville Regional Airport
By Dan Breitwieser, WCJB TV 20 News.
All afternoon and evening flights were cancelled Thursday at Gainesville Regional Airport as Fay entered the area. And the problems aren't over.
As rain and wind from Fay hit the ground, it grounded many of the flights trying to leave. All friday early morning flights were cancelled, as well as a US Airways late Friday morning flight, keeping Marsha Bennett in Gainesville.
"Well I kind of figured," says Bennett. "But I called this morning and they said they anticipated the airport being open after the first two flights, so I didn't know."
Later Friday afternoon as winds started picking up, US Airways canceled three arriving flights, as well as two departures Friday night and one Saturday morning. Airport officials say because Gainesville has jets and no turbo- prop engines, it is treated no differently than a large international airport.
"But even jets, they take a look at the weather," says Gainesville Regional Airport Spokeswoman Michelle Danisovsky. "And if it continues to get harsher and harsher, we should probably expect to see cancellations this afternoon."
And Danisovsky was right. She says both US Airways and Delta waived fees to change tickets to help passengers find a flight to their destination without any extra pain in the pocketbook. And they were hoping, like Bennett, to catch later flights and not remain stuck in Gainesville.
"I'd just like to get out," says Bennett. "It's my son's birthday and I just really want to be there."
Danisovsky says the best way to learn the most up-to-date information on flight cancellations is by checking the web, or calling the airline's toll-free numbers.
- Weekend Problems At Gainesville Regional Airport Force Cancellations, Diverted Flights
- Local Gainesville Flights Canceled
- Gainesville Regional Airport Now Offering Flights to Miami
- Gainesville Regional Airport Seeks Non-Stop Flight to NYC
- New Airline at Gainesville Regional Airport
- Permits Required for Uber Drivers at Gainesville Regional Airport
- Gainesville Regional Airport passengers to see new ticket counters
- Airport Renovations Take Off
- Direct Air Cancels Flights
- Gainesville Ice Rink Cancelled