Were Women and Minorities Targeted In UF Layoffs?
Women and minorities were disproportionately targeted for layoffs by the University of Florida, according to an email message sent by the school's Faculty Union President and now obtained by WCJB.
The email was written by Faculty Union President John Biro and sent to UF faculty. It confirms that 8 individual grievances have been filed by faculty members, and that the union itself has also filed a separate grievance.
The email was full of strong language. For example, it says that the University of Florida administration's conduct has been "marked by secretiveness, hypocrisy, manipulation, and misrepresentation." Also in the email, it says that women and minorities were disproportionately targeted for layoffs.
Faculty Union President Biro says he hopes the grievances will force UF to rescind the layoffs.
"There is ample evidence that they were not necessitated by financial consideration as the administration has falsely claimed," said Biro, "therefore, there's no justification for their going ahead with the layoffs."
University officials refused to comment on the new allegations. They did, however, release a statement saying that they are committed to doing what they can to support the faculty.
Biro said that if the filing of grievances isn't enough to get the laid-off faculty their jobs back, the union will continue to keep the pressure on UF's administration. That would likely mean an "unfair labor practice" lawsuit. If that's how this problem ends up being resolved, the case would be heard by P.E.R.C. - the Public Employment Regulatory Commission.
- City Of Gainesville Faces Possible Layoffs-Cuts In Services
- More Layoffs At Health Department
- Layoffs at North Central Florida YMCA as Bankruptcy Restructuring Continues
- Hundreds of Marion County Teachers, Students Brave the Rain to Protest Layoffs
- E One Layoffs
- UF Gives Raises Less Than A Month After Layoffs
- 40 Years Since The "Gainesville 8" Were Acquitted
- What were you doing ten years ago?
- Armed Burglar Enters House While Homeowners Were Inside
- While You Were Sleeping...