Divorced parents battle over son's life
One parent wants to wait and see if he gets better.
The other wants to let him go.
It's a battle over a 24-year-old man's life that started with a mysterious ATV accident two weeks ago.
Justin Smith is being treated at Shands Hospital at the University of Florida. His mother says he is half brain dead but that his heart still beats on its own.
Smith's father did not return several phone calls to his office and cell phone Wednesday. He lives in Texas.
Right now, neither parent has legal authority to make decisions for Smith.
Since they disagree, one would have to be appointed by a judge and receive guardianship status, according to Florida statutes.
- Parents won't sue Disney over son's death by gator
- Aguilar Family Believes Son's Remains Have Been Found
- Gainesville Woman Arrested for Drugs, Says She Needed Money for Son's Birthday
- Father Speaks Out About Son's Death
- Bronson Man Arrested for Grand Theft, Stole Son's Car
- Father Honors Son's Memory By Helping Kids Swim
- Brantley Family to Weigh Options for Son's Future as a Gator
- Parents Arrested After Son Killed By Dogs
- Judge may intervene in parents' fight over ill child
- Developer, city officials battle over Heritage Oaks