New Prison Location
Last month more than a thousand Marion Oaks residents showed up to plan how to fight the correction corporations of America. Those who attended that meeting were willing to go the distance to get the job done. At the time they didn't realize their journey it would be that short.
"I'll believe it when its in writing" says Mildred Musho who wantsÂ to see the Â agreement on paper. Musho helped organize Marion Oaks residents and this sends a message to anyone looking to build prisons where residents already live.
"We sent a message loud and clear, that a prison in an already established community is off limits" says Muso.
"As far as I'm concerned, its signed, sealed and delivered to us", says Rick Dennison. He was present at the County Commisson meeting when Steven Grey, a CCA representative took the potium unannounced. "Grey announced that basically the prison concept for Marion Oaks is not going to happen, its just not a location they are going to consider."
Although Grey withdrew the plans to build in Marion Oaks, he didnt abandon the idea. He wants the county to support the companys future efforts to build in Marion County but at another location. They voted 4 to 1 in favor of this.
"Jim Payton...I am very disappointed that he is our County Commissioner for this area. I am very disappointed in his actions before and up to this point." says Rick Dennison.
Commissoner Payton went to a group of residents about the idea of a prison being built in their community, but he has yet to return any calls on the issue.
"If we havent accomplished anything else, I just love the power of people", says Mildred Musho.
Marion Oaks may have been taken off the radar, but Grey made it clear that CCA want to bring prisions to Marion County, but wouldnt include the locations of the prisons.
- Law Library Moves to New Location and New Managment
- New location for G-R-U sewage
- New Location for Supervisor of Elections Office
- New Funding May Push Fairground Location Decision
- Supervisor of elections moving to new location
- Alachua Humane Society Gets Brand New Location
- DOC Proposing To Build New Prison
- Increase in prisoners released from federal prison
- Government Says UF Cannot Hide Locations of Animal Research Labs
- Alachua County Tax Collector's Office Opens Third Location