Prescription for Fire
A community institution in Marion county is gone-- and tonight the owners of the business want answers.
Just before midnight, reports came in that bittings pharmacy in southeast Ocala was on fire. firefighters made sure no one was trapped inside... but it was too late for the building itself.
The building's been around since World War I and it's owners aren't ready to throw in the towel. The smoke may have cleared but there's still many unanswered questions on how this fire was actually started.
Bittings owner David Hammar says he's still in shock. He has no clue as to who would set fire to his business--and how the concrete block that investigators found in the drive through got there either.
"We thoroughly investigate all fires. We hope that it wouldn't be arson but obviously if it was the investigators will do what is necessary to make sure that it doesn't happen again in the future."
Hammar says the pharmacy will be closed for the next couple of days but he's making arrangements so that by this weekend the building behind me can be used as their temporary location.
The building's contents are estimated to be worth more than a half million dollars. Officials say the concrete block is "suspicious" and state fire marshals have been called in to assist.
Hammer says he wants his customers to know that they will still be able to take care of them. The Publix Pharmacy in Churchill Square has temporarily taken on the task of refilling prescriptions for all of Bittings customers.
- Prescription Drug Foundation Trying to Raise $500,000
- School Nurse Arrested For Stealing Prescription Drugs From Students
- Crimes Against Seniors- Woman is Scammed for Her Prescription Pills
- FDLE Arrests Chemist for Switching Prescription Pills for Over-the-Counter Drugs
- Oxycodone in Deaths Are Down, But Prescription Pills Still Outnumber Illicit Drugs
- Americans Pay More for Prescription Drugs
- Number of Deaths from Prescription Pills Down Across the State
- Suspect Jumps Over Counter to Steal Prescription Pills
- Florida Prescription Pill Tracking Database
- Unintended Consequence of Prescription Pill Laws