Booting vs Towing
An alternative to roam towing could be coming to private property in Gainesville and it may boot you to your illegal spot, whether you like it or not.
That was certainly the biggest unexpected development at today's Public Safety Committee meeting... which for the most part was focused on discussing this proposed draft that would regulate booting vehicles much like roam towing is regulated.
The second to last page would charge people who illegally park 35 dollars to remove a boot from their car.
Gainesville City Commissioner and Head of the Public Safety Committee Jeanna Mastrodicasa says even she was surprised to find out a business was booting cars at the parking lot for Crisper's and T-C-B-Y on Southwest 34th Street as of eleven days ago.
Police say the property owner has said it's been a great deterrent to keep people from illegal parking.
The booting company told the committee it costs 80 dollars to remove the boot and they have been booting between 16 and 20 cars a day.
"It's not going to be a solution for the vast majority. I don't think this is something most of our companies will want to do because it is not feasible for their objectives in trying to move cars so business owners can get parkers there"
Several tow truck company representatives were also in attendance and told the committee they just wanted to make sure that booting companies would get the same amount of strict regulations as they are forced to abide by.
The Public Safety Committee tabled the proposal not to long ago. They will bring it up at a later date... November, possibly December.
That's when they will iron out some of the details like fees and permits before bringing it before the full City Commission.
- "Fill the Boot" Faces the Boot
- Advantage Towing gets 10 citations for Illegal Towing
- Gainesville Firefighters are Trying to "Fill the Boot"
- Filling the Boot
- Marion County Firefighters "Pass The Boot", looking to make a difference
- Fill The Boot For Muscular Dystrophy
- "Boots and Bling" Alachua Cattle Baron's Ball 2013
- Children's Miracle Network Family Boot Camp
- Lawmakers Put on Their Riding Boots
- TV20 Reporters Hit the Trenches in Boot Camp: Day One