Domestic Violence Awareness
Since 2004, the number of cases of domestic violence have been steadily increasing in one North Central Florida county.
Today, community groups came together to take steps to change that trend.
Last year, almost 25 hundred cases of domestic were reported in Marion County alone.
That's not including reports from victims of dating violence which until recently had received little protection under state law.
Representative Kurt Kelly says,
"These are real people,real hurting people, at the time that they are coming and we need to be sensitive to this. Tiffany Barwick could be alive today with a little more sensitivity on the entire system."
Representive Kurt Kelly says he's already getting phone calls from people saying the Dating Violence Bill has helped them and he plans on continuing to spread awareness.
- Giving Hope to Woman and Children Living in Domestic Violence Shelter
- Domestic Violence Risk Factors & Resources
- Domestic Violence Round-Up in Alachua County
- Domestic Violence Increases During Holidays
- Stalking and Domestic Violence
- Video of Beyonce's Family Fighting, Stirs Conversation About Domestic Violence
- Domestic Violence History
- Domestic Violence Victims Speak Out
- Domestic Violence Rises This Time Of Year
- Domestic Violence Warrant Round-Up