Gainesville Police Officer Chases Speeding Car
A Gainesville resident led Gainesville police on a high speed chase through Northeast Gainesville Tuesday.
The chase started when a Gainesville police officer tried to pull over 35-year-old Tawa Montgomery during a routine traffic stop.
But investigators said Montgomery took off instead of stopping. Police said they chased him down N.E. 39th Avenue, onto S.R. 26 and up US-301 to Orange Heights near Waldo. Police also said Montgomery hit a police car, and went against traffic before crashing into a ditch.
â€œHe just didn't want to go to jail. And therefore, he put a lot of people's lives in danger â€“ both law enforcement as well as other motorists,â€ Officer Summer Hallett said. â€œHe put a lot of people's lives in danger.â€
Police said Montgomery has a list of prior offenses. He is facing several charges, including aggravated assault and attempted to allude an officer.
- Man Shot by Gainesville Police Officer During High Speed Car Chase
- High Speed Chase Ends With Car Crash
- Police: Gainesville Man Attempts To Flee Officers, Hits Police Car
- High Speed Chase in Gainesville
- South Florida High Speed Car Chase
- Gainesville Woman Arrested For Chasing Down Man With Car
- Gainesville police arrest man after horse chase
- Cross-County, High-Speed Chase Leaves Residents Shaken
- One Dead In High Speed Chase
- Woman Leads 3 County High Speed Chase