Kerr City, Historic Ghost Town
Â Â Â Â Â Â It's dinner time here in Kerr City.Â But not many people are around to hear the dinner bell.Â
Â Â Â Â Because Kerr City is a ghost town, in the middle of the Ocala National Forest.Â The town's only residents are its owners.
Â Â Â Â "I just enjoy the woods and the area.Â It's a lovely place," Arthur Brennan, owner of Kerr City, says.
Â Â Â Â Â One hundred years ago, Kerr City was a more happenin' place.Â There were about 100 residents, and the town included a church, a post office, a general store, and a stagecoach stop.Â
Â Â Â Â Some of those buildings are still standing.
Â Â Â Â Â Arthur now rents out these old buildings to anyone brave enough to stay the night in aÂ ghost town.Â Ghost researchers have even toured the grounds, looking for spooky specters.
Â Â Â Â "Three woman were walking to the lake with their equipment that they had and they picked up on their tape the sound of horses hooves and a wagon wheel," Gwynne Brennan, says.
Â Â Â Â There's no doubt Kerr City is full of history... but is it full of ghosts, too?
Â Â Â Â Â There's just something creepy about staying in a deserted city in the middle of the forest.Â Wind rips through the fireplace and your mind plays tricks on you.Â And sleeping is definitely out of the question.
Â Â Â Â Â Â But when the sun comes up, and the shadows disappear, you can appreciate Kerr City for its history.Â When touring the trails, you can imagine you're in a stagecoach instead of a golf cart.Â And if you do dare to spend the night, take Arthur's advice:
Â Â Â Â "Oh, just ignore the ghosts."
- Gainesville's Annual Ghost Town
- City, Police Agree on Contract
- City, county play hot potato with fire rescue
- Double Shooting In Lake City, Family Reaction
- Downtown Business Owners Send Letter To City, Opposing Free Parking Elimination
- City, UF to discuss fire fees
- City, County Commissioners Ready to Move Forward after Joint Meeting
- City, county officials voice concern over Walmart closing
- City, county reach agreement on former RTS site
- "Ghost Bike" Memorial a Reminder to Share Road