Last Day to Register to Vote
Monday is the last day, and the last chance, for volunteers to grab unregistered voters. Booths are up all around the community, like this one here at Wal-Mart on Waldo Road. For people like Vicky Smith, who was on her way to buy groceries and instead became a registered voter, seeing the volunteers gave her the chance to register before it's too late.
"That nice lady grabbed me and told me I could register to vote. I was really glad she was here," Smith says.
Smith was only one of several voters who registered at Wal-Mart today and had been putting it off until the last minute.
"My granddaughter called from college this morning and said Nana, you have to go register it's the most important election," Smith says.
Others came to the Supervisor of Elections office to register for the first time. But still, many others are beating the clock at the Wal-Mart.
"I walked up and saw that they were registering people and knew I needed to get registered since it's the last day," Tina Miles says.
The number of people who have registered in alachua county has exceeded expectations. The Supervisor of Elections says at least one thousand more people have already registred to vote this year compared to last year, and that's the number before this marathon monday is over.
- Deadline to Register to Vote is October 9
- Registering High Schoolers to Vote at Gainesville High School
- Early Voting Ended, Today's The Day To Vote
- Gator Nationals Last Day
- Taxpayers Filing Taxes on Last Day
- Sales Tax Holiday's Last Day
- Bravo Trial Day 10: Last Text From Aguilar's Phone
- Doc Rivers Helps Register Voters
- Registered Sex Offender in Ocala Arrested Again
- UF Fraternity Allowed To Register As An Official Student Organization