Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
Levy County Candidate Forum
The Levy County School Board has received some unwanted attention recently with the arrest of a member who allegedly for exposing himself to in a public restroom.
Two weeks before that, a Bronson County High School Guidance Counselor was suspended for changing a student's grades. But school superintendent candidates say they're trying to gain some positive attention... by making a change.
For the first time in more than eight years, Levy county will elect a new school board superintendent, now that Clifton Norris is stepping down.
And whoever takes the position will have some hot-button issues to address as soon as they take office.
Patty Shewey is a kindergarten teacher at Bronson Elementary in Levy County.
She says she came to watch the school board superintendent candidates speak about the future of her job.
"I would like to be able to have the class size that I have this year. It's been great. And I'm certainly hoping our new superintendent will help us maintain our class size."
Teachers made up the majority of the audience and some say their biggest fears concern the economy and how it affects the county's budget. And This was a top concern for both candidates Jeff Edison and Bob Hastings.
"The budget has a lot of folks scared and concerned. folks are really worried about their jobs and they need assurance from us that we're going to try to protect their classrooms."
But budgets and unions weren't the only issues on the minds of county residents.
School Board member Billy Morrison was arrested Friday, accused of exposing himself to an undercover officer in a men's restroom at Santa Fe College.
Morrison's status with the school board is still uncertain.
- Last Candidates Forum Before Election
- Candidate Forum
- 4-A's Host Candidate Forum
- Candidates Forum, Faith's Role
- City Commission Candidate Forum
- Gainesville Mayoral Candidates Debate DUIs, Biomass at 4A Forum
- Biomass Concerns Dominate Candidate Forum for Gainesville City Commission
- 4A's Do Not Endorse Any Candidate in Final Forum Before Election Day
- Alachua County Kicks Off School Superintendent Search With Public Forum
- County Commission Picks In House Candidate for County Manager Job