School's Take Attendance for Money
The amount of state funding schools receive for students... depends on how many children are in school...
It's called Full-Time Equivalent, and the number of students that show up next week will translate into the number of dollars the District gets from the state for the entire year.
The value of an education is immeasurable.... but the state has a fixed price they give school districts to educate each student.
And next week the state will be taking a head count.
There are certain weeks of the year the state monitors attendance and next week Monday through Friday is the first for this school year.
And what happens if your child isn't in school at least one day next week?
"We don't get funding for them even if they're here the rest of the school year."
The District can expect to receive between 4-and-5 thousand dollars for each student's education for the year.
According to the school board --last year they lost out on funding for 80 students ...and it cost them 350-thousand dollars.
"The biggest factor is that schools lose funding but more importantly is that the student can't earn credit."
So school officials will be stepping up their usual efforts of calling home and even paying home visits.
District Officials say any money lost due to absent students is particularly harmful this year as the district has already lost 14-million dollars since the beginning of the school year.
- School Attendance Takes on New Importance Next Week
- Howard Bishop Middle School's New Tech Program
- Eastside High School's Soulfest Brings Down the House
- Eastside High School's Young App Developers
- Celebrating Education: Newberry High School's Environmental Girls Make Global Impact
- 'Dads Take Your Kids to School Day' is a huge success at a local school
- High school students attend unique summer program
- Trinity Catholic Capture School's First Baseball State Title
- The Rock School's Briana Smith-Hines Signs to Play College Volleyball
- Four Local High School's Advance to State Semis in Volleyball