SHANDS HOSPITAL TURNS 50
The medical community celebrated a 50th anniversay gala at the Hilton Hotel Saturday night. But this fundraising event was not just about mingling or a fancy dinner. It is part of an effort to raise 55 million dollars to support a new cancer hospital across the street.
Saturday's 150 dollar-a-plate anniversary gala is a fundraiser with a mission. Mark Wise and his wife Mary were honorary chairs for Saturday's event. Mr. Wise was diagnosed with tonsil cancer last year and now he wants to give back to Shands for all the help he received.
"What we are trying to accomplish with this hope campaign is to bring hope not only to people with cancer but also to those that support them," he said.
Today, Shands has more than 550 doctors practicing in over 100 areas of speciality care. For more on this story please see video:
- Shands Children's Hospital Among Best in Nation
- Construction Nearing Completion at New Shands Cancer Hospital
- New Shands Cancer Hospital
- Shands Hospital for Children in Gainesville Sneak Peak
- "Sweet" Fundraiser Benefits Dance Marathon & Shands Hospital for Children
- Shands Hospital is Building New Hotel For Families and Patients
- Songs for Kids Foundation Visits Shands
- UF & Shands Now Called University of Florida Health
- 14-Pound Baby Born to Keystone Heights Couple At UF Health Shands
- Identity Theft Ring Compromises UF&Shands Patient Records