Facing growing budget troubles... one hospital is going over it's options.
It's a health care facility that's won numerous awards...has a world renowned heart center...and it's the only place in Marion county where children are born...
But it's a hospital in trouble.
"We have ever increasing technology costs...skyrocketing labor costs...we continue to be faced by the fact that we see a disproportionate uninsured and under insured here in Marion County."
On top of that... Mike Robertson says government reimbursement for Medicaid has dropped drastically.
"If the Florida Legislature approves the change...they will be able to eventually ask for a tax...up to 2 mils..that would be held separate from the county's millage..."
Some residents fear the worst.
"We create two kinds of people...men and women who create wealth...and men and women who consume it...you are now trying to find ways to finance the people who consume wealth."
And Commissioners, who were split on what to do, decided to withhold their blessing...leaving the future of the hospital .and those who rely on it...unclear..
Even though Commissioners decided... 3 to 2... not to endorse the District Change... hospital leaders can still plead their case to the State Legislature.
Otherwise, a unanimous vote by Commissioners could create a tax for the hospital... but the hospital would have to compete with other government agencies for the money.
- Munroe Hospital Tax Referendum
- UF's Large Animal Hospital Puts Out Horse Owner Alert: "Bad EPM Drug"
- Detective Tracks Down Dog's Owner in Hospital
- Shands Children's Hospital Among Best in Nation
- Deputy Set To Leave Hospital After Shooting
- Bicyclist Hit By Drunk Driver Out of Hospital, Fellow Cyclists Raise Money for Her Recovery
- A Local Boy Named "Florida Champion" of Children's Miracle Network Hospitals
- SEVERAL HOSPITALIZED AFTER USING "SPICE"
- Bad Spice Sends Nearly 30 to the Hospital
- Five Hospitalized For Bad Batch Of Cocaine