Victims' Mothers Speak Out
For these two moms, this Thanksgiving will be their first without their sons. All they have left is pictures, and memories, of happier times.
Chris Davis' son Daniel Lewis died in May of an overdose of prescription drugs.
Tammy Dennard's son Travis Walls died in August of a similar overdose
"No parent wants to receive a phone call," Dennard said.
Even though the cause of both deaths was an overdose of prescription drugs, the moms say a major contributor was actually the prescriber of those medications.... Dr. Barnie Vanzant.
"Vanzant does not admit to doing anything wrong." Davis said.
The State Department of Health investigated Vanzant and immediately restricted his license, which took effect yesterday.
The investigation concluded Vanzant excessively prescribed controlled substances.
Vanzant can still see patients... but he can't write prescriptions for them.
"Our main goal is that he is stopped," Davis said.
Going over Lewis' records, Davis discovered her son was prescribed over 1,000 Methadone pills and nearly 700 Lortab pills over a 114 day period.
Dennard's son had a similar dosage.
"Those two together are like gas and fire. They don't mix," Dennard said.
Davis and Dennard acknowledge their sons were addicted to the drugs. But they say Vanzant failed to recognize the drug abuse.
Dennard says her son did start receiving medication from Vanzant to ease pain from a herniated disc.
Vanzant showed us wall's records-- but the exams were done in 2002. And walls was still receiving the drugs.. .without an updated exam... until his death.
Davis says her son never received any exams from Vanzant.
- Deadly Crash Victims' Family Speaks Out
- Mothers Speak Out About Sons' Deaths; Plan Memorial Ride
- Emilia Carr's Mother Speaks Out
- "A Pillar in the Community." A Fire Victim's Family Speaks Out
- A Look Into Sandusky Scandal Victims' Psychology
- Victims' Rights Week
- Crash Victim Mother Speaks
- Mother Who Lost Child to Drunk Driving Speaks Out
- A Victim of Sexual Abuse Speaks Out After 16 Years
- Victim Speaks Out in Hopes of Finding Rapist