Holiday SWAT Standoff
For many, the holidays are viewed at as a joyful time. For those going through rough times, they can be a challenge.
Sometimes law enforcement deals directly with that challenge.
Ocala S.W.A.T members responded to an Ocala woman's home after they received a call from her doctor saying she had threatened suicide, just a short distance away from a busy shopping center.
Knowing the woman had an 38 caliber pistol in the home.
The S.W.A.T team set up a perimeter in the neighborhood and was able to coax the woman from her house.
Ocala Police Sargeant Michael Sommers says,
"The holidays tend to manifest any kind of problem or if there's been a death in the family or anything like that, so i'd say there's probably more incidents, not necessarily of this magnitude.
Law enforcement says they respond to a significantly greater amount of calls from people needing psychiatric treatment during the holidays due to the emotional nature of this time.
- Additional Charges May Be Filed Against SWAT Standoff Suspect
- A Federal Gun Charge Could Be Filed Against SWAT Standoff Suspect
- Williston Man Exchanges Gunfire with MCSO SWAT Team
- SWAT catches SC fugitive
- Special SWAT Tool Saves the Day in Multiple Counties
- Area SWAT Team Trains School Resource Officers
- Marion County SWAT Team Wins Competition
- SWAT Team Storms Home, Finds Father Dead
- Standoff at Fla. Capitol Shows No Signs of Ending
- Ocala Police standoff Ends with Three Arrests