Holiday SWAT Standoff
For many, the holidays are viewed at as a joyful time. For those going through rough times, they can be a challenge.
Sometimes law enforcement deals directly with that challenge.
Ocala S.W.A.T members responded to an Ocala woman's home after they received a call from her doctor saying she had threatened suicide, just a short distance away from a busy shopping center.
Knowing the woman had an 38 caliber pistol in the home.
The S.W.A.T team set up a perimeter in the neighborhood and was able to coax the woman from her house.
Ocala Police Sargeant Michael Sommers says,
"The holidays tend to manifest any kind of problem or if there's been a death in the family or anything like that, so i'd say there's probably more incidents, not necessarily of this magnitude.
Law enforcement says they respond to a significantly greater amount of calls from people needing psychiatric treatment during the holidays due to the emotional nature of this time.
- SWAT catches SC fugitive
- Marion County SWAT Team Wins Competition
- Area SWAT Team Trains School Resource Officers
- Special SWAT Tool Saves the Day in Multiple Counties
- Man arrested after standoff in SW Gainesville
- Ocala Police standoff Ends with Three Arrests
- Interlachen Man Starts Domestic Dispute, Has Brief Standoff with Deputies
- Levy Man kills Wife, Arrested After Standoff With Deputies
- Police Respond To Standoff At Gainesville Mobile Home
- Campus Standoff Ends With Gunfire