Fightin' Gators Marching in Miami
By Dan Breitwieser, WCJB TV 20 News.
Although they get some of the best tickets for free, they will have to play for it.
325 members of the Fightin' Gator Marching band, plus cheerleaders, mascots, and staff left Tuesday morning on eight buses from the University of Florida campus.
It's the ultimate pay-off for students who have put in an estimated 300 hours worth of practice time since August.
"It's great, the whole experience is wonderful," says Band Director Jay Watkins. "We talk a lot about the fact that you are under the national spotlight and everybody is looking for you and you represent not just the band but the University and the state of Florida."
He adds about half the band was in Arizona for the championship game two years ago, and a handful of lucky members were also a part of the pep band for a basketball national championship.
- FightinGator.com's Bob Redman in Studio, Talking Friday Night Lights
- Gator Marching Band Heading to London for Olympics
- Gator Marching Band Going to the Olympics
- Gators March for Babies
- Hundreds Honor Dr. King's Legacy With Commemorative March
- One Class At A Time: Meet March's winner Nancy Delgado
- Gators Head to Miami
- Gator Fans Hit Miami
- Former Gators head to Miami
- Miami Girl's Tragic Death Leads Local Officials to Review Policy