New North Central Florida Sheriff
Mark Hunter took office one week ago, replacing outgoing former Columbia County Sheriff Bill Gootee.
Hunter says he is trying to open up a more transparent Sheriff's Office.
The sign out front already has Hunter's name on it, and there are changes going on inside as well.
Hunter says he is working to break down internal department divisions, for instance between patrol and detectives. Hunter says he is also trying to get more interactive with the community, even with some simple gestures like asking deputies to wave to residents when they are driving through neighborhoods.
"I'm hoping that over the next 4 years that I can earn the trust and respect of the citizens of the sheriff's office," Hunter says.
Mark Hunter hopes to have a newly-designed Sheriff's website up and running in the next two weeks. By the end of his four year term, he hopes that he can have a district office in the south end of the county.
- New Laws Too Late For North Central Florida Charity
- A New Charter School For North Central Florida
- Deadly Stabbing at North Florida Regional Medical Center
- How Is North Central Florida Impacted by National Propane Shortage?
- Another Case of Meningitis in North Central Florida
- FDLE Raids Three Internet Cafes Across North Central Florida
- North Central Florida Farmers Seeing Profits in Cotton
- North Central Florida Remembers Nelson Mandela
- Home Sales in North Central Florida Rise Significantly Compared to Last Year
- Schools Across North Central Florida Begin FCAT Testing