"everything looks the same out on the river," says waterfront resident Ronnie McQuaig.
Ronnie McQuaig moved to Satsuma in Putnam County a few years ago. Since he retired back last year he spends most of his time boating on the waters of Dunn's Creek. He says getting around the area can be tough, and finding his way back home is another story.
"and there might be two or three green houses so you know it could get confusing," he says.
That's a challenge that Lt. George Pottorf deals with on a daily basis when he patrols the waters near St. Johns River in Putnam county.
"not knowing every exact location that you're looking at, that's difficult," says Lt. Pottorf.
Lt. Pottorf says a dock address serves the same purpose as a street address for law enforcement when they respond to 9-1-1 calls.
"it would be nice to be able to look over and see exactly where your at at an address," he says.
During the search for Haliegh Cummings Lt. Pottorf says it was tough because there were no landmarks or businesses to lead his way .
"they were obviously giving their 9-1-1 physical address, which meant nothing to us on these docks," he says.
That's just one of the many emergencies that Florida Fish and Wildlife officers respond to on the water.
"fugitives along the river banks, we respond to Altzheimer's patients that have walked off," says Lt. Pottorf.
Over the next few weeks Florida Fish and Wildlife will be spreading the word to waterfront residents and hope the response is positive.
"to help us help them," says Lt. Pottorf.
"i'm going to work on it right away," says Ronnie McQuaig.
Something Ronnie Mcquaig says will not only help officers during emergencies, but it will help him navigate Dunn's Creek.
Lt. Pottorf says displaying a dock address is voluntary for now, but he hopes that someday it will be the law.
- Big Dock on the Way?
- Big Step For Big Dock
- Gainesville Mayor Delivers State of City Address
- Gainesville Mayor Describes City as Strong but Struggling in Address
- Gov. Scott Addresses Jennifer Carroll Resignation During Stop in Ocala
- Governor Scott Touts Job Growth at Annual 'State of the State' Address
- Gainesville Mayor Craig Lowe Delivers Sate of the City Address
- State of the City of Gainesville Address (Full Version)
- Walk the Beat With the Chief, Tony Jones Addresses Neighborhood Concerns
- Post Office Workers Against "Change of Address"