Family reaction to Tony Servance Jr.
For that plea, he is sentenced to 15 years in prison followed by two years of probation, but the child's family is speaking out. They say the punishment isn't severe enough.
Markell Barton was killed November 14th 2007 at Forest and Village Green Apartment complex. But the people who claim to be Markell's cousins are frustrated with what they call a lenient punishment. Nathan Allen says he wants justice for his cousin.
"I mean i'm glad that it is closure to the family but the 15 years is probably should be more like 25 all together."
Allen cannot believe why Tony Servance would committ such a crime.
The autopsy revealed that the boy suffered blunt trauma causing internal bleeding. According to police reports, Servance tried to cover up the crime. Joni Barber, who also says Markell was her cousin, didn't see anything odd about Servance's relationship with Markell's 19-year-old mother.
The Chief Investigator at the Attorney's Office says by looking at the facts and evidence, 15 years is fair... "You have to look back and see who had contact with the baby who had care custody and control at the time." For more on this story please see video on right:
- A family Torn Apart by Tragedy
- Family of Missing Disabled Man Calls in Texas Equusearch
- Double Shooting In Lake City, Family Reaction
- High Price of Racing
- Residents March Across Gainesville
- Captain Tony Cruse Passes Away
- Tony Dungy Promotes Book in Gainesville
- Trenton Says Good-Bye To Tony Cruse
- Celebration of Life: Tony Cruse
- Walk the Beat With the Chief, Tony Jones Addresses Neighborhood Concerns