Alachua Deputy Shoots, Kills Man After Fight
An Alachua County Sheriff's Deputy shot and killed a man after a violent fight around 1:00 PM Friday.
Lt. Mike Hanson responded to a domestic violence call after witnesses reported seeing a couple fighting in the road on 34th Street just south of 39th Avenue in Northwest Gainesville.
When Lt. Hanson arrived on scene he saw 18 year old Nicholous Weeks hitting a woman and ordered him to stop. According to witnesses and police, Weeks then turned his attention toward Lt. Hanson and attacked him. Though Hanson tazed Weeks, Hanson was unable to subdue the man. Weeks attacked Hanson, and after suffering numerous injuries, Hanson shot and killed Weeks.
Lt. Hanson has been with the the Alachua Sheriff's Office for 13 years. He works in the Civil Division and was out serving serving summons when he encounted Weeks.
The Gainesville Police Department is now in charge of the death investigation.
TV20 News will have more information as soon as it is available. We will have full reports with updates at 10:00pm on Gainesville's CW and 11:00pm on TV 20.
- Lake City Police Officer Shoots, Kills Armed Driver at DUI Checkpoint
- Ocala Man Arrested After Shooting at Deputies
- Levy Man kills Wife, Arrested After Standoff With Deputies
- Mentally Disabled Man Sentenced After Shooting, Killing Father
- Deputy Set To Leave Hospital After Shooting
- Deputy Shoots Man Twice
- Man Accused of Shooting at Deputy May Face More Charges
- Deputy Returns Fire, Kills Man
- Deputies Serve 17th Warrant Arrest On Alachua County Man
- Deputies Taze Man After Causing Multiple Car Crash, Threatening Other Drivers