Human Remains Identified as Missing Marion County Man
Here is an update on a TV20 story regarding the missing Marion County man.
On Thursday (May 21), the Marion County Sheriff's Office received word from the Medical Examiner's Office that the human remains found in the Ocala National Forest on May 14 have been positively identified as those of missing person Derek McGivern.
McGivern went missing May 3, and investigators became suspicious when his friend Allen Strickland led them on a chase through forest roads driving McGivern's car - without McGivern.
Strickland's story about McGivern's whereabouts changed several times, even though the two men had been seen out together earlier that day.
Through this investigation, including witness testimonies and review of video surveillance, the sheriff's office does not suspect foul play at this time.
Christina Haywood, a good friend of McGivern, said, "He never did any harm to anyone, always respected everyone."
A newspaper carrier discovered what looked to be "drag marks" going across county road 314A in the Ocala National Forest.
Deputies found McGivern's bloody clothing as well as human bones.
This investigation is a joint effort between the sheriff's office, the Medical Examiner's Office, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and the Florida Highway Patrol.
Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to call Detective Mike Mongeluzzo at 352-732-9111 or Crime Stoppers at 352-368-STOP.
- Human Remains Found In Backyard Believed To Be Missing Man
- Human remains ID'd as body of missing Dunnellon man
- Human Remains May Be Missing Marion County Man
- Remains identified decades later
- Detectives Call Ft. McCoy Human Remains Discovery a "Suspicious" Death Investgation
- Human Remains found in Marion County
- Human remains found in wooded area in Ocala
- Last Known Coordinates For Missing Plane Identified
- 35 Year Old Human Remains Identified
- Marion Co. Man Reported Missing, Family Fears for His Safety