Lake City Sesquicentennial Celebration
Lake City is celebrating its 150th birthday this year and Friday residents took part in an event that will create memories when the city celebrates its bicentennial.
The Columbia County School District held a time capsule ceremony. The capsule was filled with items including photographs, a cell phone, a teacher salary scale, and even a spatula and basting brush. School board members lowered the time capsule where it will be buried. It will be opened on May 1, 2059.
"It's an honor to take part in the city of Lake City's celebration of their 150th birthday and we look forward to some of the children that were here today to help us bury the time capsule being here 50 years from now when they open it back up," said Mike Millikin, Superintendent of Columbia County School District.
Other items in the capsule included school yearbooks and a map of Columbia County school zones.
- Fourth of July Celebrations in Lake City
- NAACP Calls for the Resignation of Lake City Police Chief and City Manager
- Lake City Police Chief and City Manager Aren't Going Anywhere
- Suspect in Death of Lake City Man is at Large
- Lake City Pastor Speaks Out About His Church's Nativity Scene
- Search For Missing Lake City Skydiver Turns Into Recovery Operation
- End of 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season, Doesn't Mean an End to Recovery in Lake City
- Man Says Devil Made Him Assault Girl According to Lake City Police
- Lake City Residents Waiting for Relief After Debby
- Lake City Officer Shooting