More Details Revealed of Friday's Shooting
TV20 learned more tonight about both the Alachua County Sheriff's lieutenant and the man investigators say he shot to death on Friday.
The officer involved is a veteran of the sheriff's office and the father of two young children.
The victim was an 18-year-old college student whose mother says was a good man.
“He was a good kid,” she said. “He was 18 years old. He was just starting his life.”
Nicholous Weeks' life ended Friday at the intersection of 34th and 39th Avenue when he was shot multiple times by Alachua County Sheriff's Lt. Mike Hanson.
According to police, Hanson sustained serious facial injuries after getting into a fight with Weeks.
He is on paid administrative leave pending an internal investigation.
TV20 was granted access to Hanson's personnel file. He has been with the sheriff's office for 12 years after graduating from UF in 1995.
He was promoted to lieutenant in 2005 and has no disciplinary record.
According to documents obtained from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Weeks was arrested six times, which included a domestic violence charge.
GPD spokesman Lt. Keith Kameg said GPD is looking for more witnesses and is urging people to come forward.
Someone who hasn't come forward, Kameg says, is Weeks' mother, who says she witnessed her son's death.
GPD is handling the criminal investigation for this case.
Kameg says his office is waiting on toxicology reports to see if alcohol or drugs were in Weeks' system at the time of the incident.
- Free Friday's Concert Gainesville
- Death Toll from Friday's Storms Remains at 39
- More Details Emerge In Levy County Sheriff's Office Investigation
- FAMU Hazing Details Revealed
- 911 Call Reveals New Details Regarding A.S.O Burger King Incident
- More Details On The Double Homicide At A High Springs Bar
- More details on investigation into Dunnellon Police Department
- New Details on Christmas Morning Shooting in Marion Oaks
- Details in Deputy Involved Shooting
- Bravo Trial Day 7: Gruesome Details About Aguilar's Remains