Ocala Teen Competes in National Spelling Bee
He's only 13 years old, but an Ocala middle school student competed on a national sports television station.
AtOsceola Middle School, Mr. Potter's third period class was focused not on science this morning, but on catching glimpses of their classmate, Miguel Gatmaytan on ESPN.
The teen made it through the first round of the semi-finals in Washington D.C.
His friends and classmates watched and cheered him on.
Miguel's friend Scotty Petersen says,
"I'm really excited that I can see him on TV, it's just really exciting...
Miguel's friend Hank Truluck says,
"He's really smart but he has a sense of humor that's amazing."
Miguel stumbled on the word Crystosphene in the second round, ending his winning spree.
The finals will be aired 8 o'clock Thursday on ABC.
- New Rules for National Spelling Bee
- Young Spelling Bee Champion
- New Spelling Bee Champion
- Spelling Bee
- Alachua County names new Spelling Bee champion
- J.J. Finley Student Wins District Spelling Bee
- District Spelling Bee
- Gainesville Housing Authority holds inaugural spelling bee
- Annual Alachua County Spelling Bee
- Busy Bees (National Honey Bee Awareness Week)