Gainesville Teenager Heading to Panama to Bring Christmas in July
Some teenagers use their summers to catch up on some sleep or spend their days by the pool, but that's not the case for one Gainesville student.
16-year-old Jennifer Chapman leaves July 1 for Panama. Chapman is one of 18 teenagers making the eight-day trip as part of "Operation Christmas Child." The group will distribute shoe boxes full of school supplies, toiletries, and toys to local children.
Chapman said she's both excited and nervous for the trip, and was thankful for the support from her family and the church.
"They are just so excited for me, the fact that I have this opportunity, it just boosts my excitement," said Chapman.
Since 1993, "Operation Christmas Child" has hand-delivered more than 68 million shoe box gifts.
- 4th of July parade brings town together
- Gainesville Man Arrested For Molesting Teenage Girl on Black Friday
- Gainesville Police Chief To Resign July 6
- Gainesville Fire and Rescue tips for this 4th of July
- A Gainesville Family's Christmas Wishes Come True
- Christmas Tree Sales In Gainesville On The Rise
- Gainesville Little Ones program celebrates is annual Christmas party
- Mindtree Brings Dozens of Jobs to Gainesville
- New Business Brings Jobs To Gainesville
- Gainesville Police Bring Helicopter, Canines to Show and Tell