Local Dentist Urges Patients to Get Checked for Oral Cancer
Oral cancer kills one American every hour...
Dentists say it's widespread... but not enough people know how to prevent it.
And, that could be because it's commonly thought of as an "old man's disease"... tied to older men who smoke.
But that's not the case anymore.
Dr. Timothy Millward, who works at University Family Dentistry in Gainesville, says almost 30,000 people will be diagnosed in the country this year with oral cancer.
It affects young women and men, and 25 percent of cases affect people with no known risk factors... like drinking and smoking.
The exam, Vizilite, is like a glow stick that detects any problems in your mouth.
Dr. Millward says just as you would get checked from breast or prostate cancer every year, an oral cancer exam should also be a priority.
- Sequestration Cuts May Lead to Cancer Patients
- New Drink Helps Cancer Patients
- Extreme Garden Makeover to Benefit Cancer Patients at Hope Lodge
- Patient Dies from Bacteria found in Shands Cancer Center
- Surgical Treatment Improving for Pancreatic Cancer Patients
- Schools Urging Parents to Get Head Start on Registration
- Brain Cancer Patient Gets Florida Game Ball After Outback Bowl Win
- Get Your Furnace Checked Before Its Too Late
- Pediatric Patients at Shands get a Taste of Magic
- Boy with Bone Cancer Gets His "Make-a Wish"