Construction Nearing Completion at New Shands Cancer Hospital
Construction continues to move forward at the new Shands Cancer Hospital at the University of Florida.
$364 million was budgeted for the entire project. Almost $250 million is going toward construction that began more than two years ago.
Originally it was set for 36 months, but that did not match with Shands wanting to have patients in the hospital by November. It was trimmed down to 30 months saving time and money in the process.
"It saved a lot of delayed discussion that often takes place in projects," said Shands VP of Facilities Brad Pollitt. "It's really easy to lose a month just thinking about what color I want to paint something."
September 23 is the date set for the end of construction at the work site. November 1 is when patients will start coming in.
- Construction in Poe Springs Park Nears Completion
- Shands Hospital is Building New Hotel For Families and Patients
- New Shands hospitals eyeing 2017 opening
- New Shands Cancer Hospital
- Cancer #1 Killing Disease For Hispanics, But Gainesville Continues To Fight Back
- Shands Children's Hospital Among Best in Nation
- $415M expansion for Gainesville hospital set to begin
- Hospital program uses the arts to help patients
- Sinkhole opens in front of UF Health hospital
- 2nd Annual Festival of Trees raises money for UF Health Pediatric Hospital