FSU Departments Cutting Landlines
Florida State University students will no longer be able to reach some professors on their office phones.
The FSU College of Business and the Department of English are cutting landlines to save money. If the plan takes off, other colleges could begin nixing their landline service, according to the Capitol News Service.
Many professors are starting to give out their cell phone numbers to students. FSU junior Tyler David got his professor’s cell phone number off the class syllabus.
“I think that it’s a good idea just in case you really need to get in touch with them, you have an important question, whatever it might be,” David said.
While David likes the extra access, FSU freshman Meredyth Cassell thinks calling a professor on his or her cell phone is too personal.
“I think it should be kept professional between the student and teacher and giving them your cell phone number kind of makes it more of friend sort of thing,” Cassell said.
The English Department is the latest college to cut landlines. Dr. Ralph Berry, chairman of FSU’s English Department, said professors are sacrificing their personal cell phone minutes to stay in touch with students.
“Given the range of options of what we’ve got to cut, this feels relatively painless when you compare it to the other things we might have to give up,” Berry said.
FSU is laying off 200 faculty employees and closing some departments.
The FSU College of Business cut landlines last year and saved thousands of dollars. Cutting the landlines in the English Department is expected to save $16,000.
- Public Work's Department Cuts Costs, Without Cutting Staff
- UF and FSU to work together to solve citrus greening
- Ocala's PJ Williams Wins Defensive MVP In FSU National Championship Win
- FSU QB Winston's Accuser Makes Fresh Accusations
- FSU QB Winston's Accuser Meets With State Attorney
- Florida's Jacobs: "FSU Hasn't Seen SEC Physicality"
- Gators Rough Season Comes to an End with Loss to FSU
- Thanksgiving Holiday Ends in Fatal Hit and Run Accident for FSU Student
- UF Students React To Shooting At FSU
- Can UF Handle A Situation Like The FSU Shooting?