Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
Nonprofits to Receive Stimulus Money for Home Energy Efficiency
Florida is receiving 175 million federal stimulus dollars to make homes more energy efficient.
The money will be distributed through nonprofit groups, and there are concerns about the state’s ability to keep track of that much cash, according to the Capitol News Service.
The Capital Area Community Action Agency is one of the groups receiving money. The agency will get $6 million for four counties.
“Our normal weatherization fund is around $350,000 for all of those counties, said Dorothy Johnson with agency.
They are hiring extra staff to help keep track of how the money is being spent.
The money won’t begin circulating in Florida until September, but five states that have already received the weatherization dollars are reporting misused funds, according to the news service.
Florida’s 'Stimulus Czar' Don Winstead said extra measures will be in place to keep everyone honest.
“I think the Department of Community Affairs has built a strong oversight mechanism there for paying attention to those monies," Winstead said.
The Department of Community Affairs is hiring 10 extra people to make sure contractors are doing the work the state is paying them to do.
In the past, families that qualified could receive $2,500 to weatherize their homes. Because of the stimulus money, the amount has been raised to $6,500, according to the news service.
Click here to get more information on the weatherization fund
- Florida Schools to Receive Federal Stimulus Money
- Making energy efficient upgrades
- New Energy Efficient Community
- Residents Could Qualify For Rebates On Energy Efficient Appliances
- Fla. Energy-Efficient Appliance Rebates Run Out
- Gainesville Receives Federal Stimulus Dollars
- North Central Florida Leaders Hope to See Federal Stimulus Money
- $3.4 Million of Federal Stimulus Money to Pay for Turtle Tunnel
- North Central Florida Abuse Crisis Programs Get Thousands in Stimulus Money
- Stimulus Money Gives Local Man A Job