At least 1 case of Enterovirus confirmed in Alachua County. Other possible cases being tested.
Back-To-School Safety Tips
School starts in Alachua County on Monday, August 24. The Alachua County Sheriff's Office has some safety tips for students, parents and motorists as they head back to school next week.
Prepare to leave for school a few minutes early to avoid the rush to school. Watch out for children in school zones and streets close to schools.
Remember, when a school bus stops and turns on its flashing lights and extends its signs, you must stop unless there is an unpaved median of at least five feet, a raised median, or a physical barrier separating your vehicle from the stopped school bus.
Slow down through school zones and pay close attention to the crossing guards at those intersections.
Children should the catch the eye and attention of the bus driver when walking in front of the school bus.
Sheriff's deputies will be monitoring school zones and associated traffic corridors. Citiation amounts vary from $94.00 for a non-moving citation, to $144.00 for a moving violation. Speeding fines start at $109.00 and can exceed $584.00 for speeding through a school zone. Citations for passing a school bus are $184.00
- Back-To-School Fair Joins Forces With "Stop The Violence Rally"
- Study Finds Parents Spending Less On Back-To-School Shopping
- Free Back-to-School Shots
- Health Department Giving Out Free Back-to-School Shots
- County Health Departments Offering Back-To-School Physicals, Immunizations
- Back-To-School Shopping Rush Continues
- Medical Spotlight: Back to School Health Tips for Parents
- Safety Tips To Parents About Phone/Internet Safety For Kids
- Summer Food Safety Tips
- Beat the Heat- Exercise Safety Tips