Drunk Drivers Beware: Cops Are Looking for You
Drivers are warned to be extra careful through the end of the summer as police from all over the state, including North Central Florida, are vowing to spare no mercy on any driver found to be drunk behind the wheel.
Law enforcement officials will be running sobriety checkpoints and saturation patrols to make sure all drivers are sober. The crackdown is part of a law enforcement campaign aimed at raising awareness about the hazards of driving while impaired.
The campaign, called "Over the Limit, Under Arrest", will run through the end of Labor Day weekend. According to the Florida Department of Transportation, there were more than 22,200 alcohol-related crashes last year, which includes nearly 1,100 alcohol-related fatalities.
Labor Day weekend is historically one of the most dangerous periods for drivers. Last year 12 drivers in Florida were killed in alcohol-related crashes over Labor Day weekend. Police recommend that drivers plan ahead if they think they will be drinking and designate a sober driver.
Over 10,000 police agencies across Florida are participating in this year's crackdown.
- Drunk Driver Hits Cop Car
- Boaters Beware:
- Driver's Beware Roam Towing Is Still In Effect
- Looking for Work, Beware of this Internet Scam
- Bicyclist Hit By Drunk Driver Out of Hospital, Fellow Cyclists Raise Money for Her Recovery
- Alachua Mayor Accused Of Attacking Driver & Using Racial Slurs While Drunk
- Deputy Killed by Drunk Driver
- Deputy Struck by Drunk Driver
- Drunk Driver Hits Six Patrol Cars, Nearly Injures Officers
- Three Drivers Hit GPD Patrol Cars, All Charged or Suspected of Drunk Driving