Residents of Local Apartment Get Some Help Conserving Energy
Neutral Gator and Rebuilding Together joined the Community Weatherization Coalition to make about 30 Village Green apartments more energy efficient.
“Our goal is to affect every low income house in Gainesville, Alachua County area. All of them. We're fixing up rental properties you know everybody lives in a house or a rental property here in the city of Gainesville and we developed an organization the community weatherization coalition to go out and weatherize low energy costs of our home owners in town," said a Coalition spokesman when asked about mission goals.
Volunteers are trained how to audit a house or apartment, then they do the upgrades for free. Some of the things they did were change light bulbs to more efficient ones and insulate hot water pipes
Residents are encouraged to replace things that can't be fixed. Volunteers hope to audit more than 200 houses or apartments this year.
"They had also taught us how to save, to conserve energy, things we didn't know how to do we know now. It's really a good thing; I recommend it to everybody that has a home or an apartment or whatever you have," said a volunteer for Rebuild Gainesville.
Although these changes may be considered as little, when you add them up they make a big difference. Visit www.rebuildgainesville.org if you would like more information on how to become a volunteer.
- George P. Bush Makes a Stop in Gainesville, Encouraging Young Voters to Get to the Polls
- Majestic Oaks Apartment Fire Leaves Some Homeless
- Residents Could Qualify For Rebates On Energy Efficient Appliances
- Some Residents May Qualify for a Lower Home Insurance Rate
- Water Restrictions In Place For Some County Residents
- Some Archer Residents Disapprove Of Mayor's Lengthy Vacation
- Some Drivers Get Late Holiday Start
- Allergy Sufferers Will Get Some Relief
- Alzheimer's Research Gets Some Big Funding In Florida
- Ocala Shooting Has Residents at One Apartment Complex on Edge