Proposed Eastside Annexation Sparks Debate
The proposed annexation of a neighborhood just east of Gainesville into the city has sparked debate among local officials.
Law enforcement officers for both Gainesville and Alachua County protest the move. A political action committee made up of sheriff's deputies posted a billboard on East Hawthorne Road this week. Firefighters bought a newspaper ad. Both encouraged residents to vote "no" in the Nov. 10 election.
But Gainesville City Commissioner Scherwin Henry says those groups have a "special interest" and that residents should do some research before deciding.
The proposal is part of a joint plan between the city and county.
- Censorship or Common Sense? Protests Spark First Amendment Debate
- Kevorkian Sparks Debate
- Sparks May still Fly this 4th in Marion County
- Message Posted on UF Campus Sparks Racial Controversy
- UF Budget Cuts Spark Search for Alternative Solutions
- Paynes Prairie Bison Roundup Sparks Controversy
- Sparks Flying over Neighborhood's Power Surge
- Will Innovation Square Spark Redevelopment?
- Fraudulent check sparks 2 hour manhunt
- Lightning storms spark fires