Dog Flu Shots
When you think of flu shots you probably think of flu shots for people but now dogs can get flu shots too. The H3N8 or canine flu was discovered five years ago by veterinarians at the University of Florida. The flu causes pneumonia in the lungs and dogs can die. Dogs that interact with other dogs are the most at risk. At this time there has not been any cases here in Gainesville. But now the vaccine can protect your pet. Dale Kaplan-Stein, veterinarian, said, "If you have a concern that your dog should get this vaccine, my advice is to have a discussion with our veterinarian about your lifestyle with your pet." The vaccination costs around $30 and is only needed once a year. The shots don't necessarily stop the flu but it decreases the longevity and severity of the virus.
- Community Immunity: Flu Shots
- County to Offer Flu shots starting Tuesday
- Alachua County Giving Out Free Flu Shots
- Flu Shots at Wal-Greens
- Hospitals See More Flu Cases, Mostly Swine Flu
- Dog with Gainesville Ties Competes in Westminster Dog Show
- Fighting the Flu
- The state now has five confirmed cases and 15 probable cases of swine flu.
- Possible Case of Swine Flu in Marion County
- Second Swine Flu Death in Florida Confirmed