Patient Dies from Bacteria found in Shands Cancer Center
Shands Hospital officials confirm the patient who contracted Legionnaire's disease has died and they say his death was a direct result of the disease. Shands officials did not confirm the identity of the patient, but sources tell TV20 56 year-old Glen Ryan Sigman of Archer contracted the deadly disease last Wednesday.
Shands Cancer Hospital staff say they were more concerned with the deadly bacteria than addressing details of the patient's death. The legionella bacteria was found in two sinks in a hospital room. Cancer center staffers say their intent was not to hide information, but rather to address the larger picture the contaminated room.
A Shands senior vice president says this will not compromise their overall patient care.
"We are very confident that this is a safe place for our cancer patients and other patients including those who are compromised," says David Guzick.
Shands staff say 37 similar tests were done on other patients those results have turned up negative so they believe this is an isolated case and other patients are not at risk.
- Cancer #1 Killing Disease For Hispanics, But Gainesville Continues To Fight Back
- Shands Patients Information Compromised
- Woman Dies From Flesh Eating Bacteria
- Bacteria Detected at Shands Cancer Tower
- Shands Hospital is Building New Hotel For Families and Patients
- Parkinson's Patients Art Exhibit
- Pickin' For Kaedyn, Helping 3-Year-Old Leukemia Patient
- Shands Support Group Throws Prom for Heart Transplant Patient
- New emergency room to benefit patients and rescue workers
- Hospital program uses the arts to help patients