Shooting Leads to Captain's Death and Man in Serious Condition at Shands
A man is accused of targeting his sister and pregnant niece in a shooting rampage that left two people dead and two wounded, then killing a Florida sheriff's deputy in a shootout, authorities said Friday.
Investigators are still working to determine what led to the
shootings, Hernando County sheriff's Sgt. Donna Black said.
Deputies say John Kalisz, 55, killed two women - including his
older sister - and wounded his pregnant niece and another woman
Thursday afternoon at a house near Brooksville, about an hour north
Sheriff's officials say Kalisz left with two loaded shotguns and
told his brother by phone that he would kill as many deputies as
possible. He then drove north in a white Ford van, engaging
deputies in a shootout at a gas station in Cross City, southwest of
Gainesville, authorities said.
Dixie County sheriff's Capt. Chad Reed, 33, was killed, and
Kalisz was wounded. He remained hospitalized Friday in Gainesville,
his condition unknown.
Hernando County Sheriff Richard Nugent said the shootings in
Brooksville stemmed from a domestic dispute.
He said detectives also had discovered that Kalisz was seen
Wednesday taking target practice with a handgun in a wooded area.
On Tuesday, he had lost most of his belongings in an accidental
propane explosion at the mobile home where he was living.
Reed, the slain Dixie County deputy, leaves a wife and two young
sons. He had previously served as the county's director of
- Former Police Captain's Son is Shot, Killed
- One Man Dead, Another in Serious Condition After Marion County Car Crash
- One Man Still In Critical Condition After Shooting In Lake Butler
- UF Employee In "Serious" Condition
- Ocala Man Shot Twice by Sheriff's Deputy in Stable Condition
- Death of Son, Leads to New Foundation and Future Children's Hospital
- Miami Girl's Tragic Death Leads Local Officials to Review Policy
- Alachua County Man Arrested for Allegedly Shooting Neighbor to Death
- Ocala man charged in shooting death of former Gator football player
- Feds, Florida Probe Teen's Shooting by Watch Captain